• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Massages on Muscle Relaxants - Dangerous?

leiphos

Bluelighter
Would it be dangerous to receive a massage, or perform a self-massage, while on a muscle relaxant like Soma (carisoprodol)? Since you're less able to feel muscular discomfort/pain, I wonder if you're less able to gauge the intensity of the massage. If so, you might unknowing get injured.

Does someone know of a scientific finding regarding this? Or does anyone on Bl have a personal experience with muscle relaxant massages?

Last edited:
If the massage is from someone who is educated in what theyre doing, no worries.
And you would still feel pain buddy.

Depends on the situation I'd imagine. If the muscle pain/knots are minor, then the therapist might not be able to find them as easily since they might be relaxed. If anything they might go lighter since you would seem to be less in need of a deep massage.

OK, but here's the deal. I get massages sometimes from my gf (who has no training/experience giving massages), and - most of all - from myself. Usually when I self-massage I use an electric massage pillow and/or handheld massager. On muscle relaxants, I wonder if what feels good / doesn't feel like anything at all would normally be hurting me? Even tho it always feels really good (better than doing it unmedicated for sure), I wonder if it's even worth the risk.

Do you think that you would really massage yourself so hard that it would be dangerous? I mean what kind of damage could a handheld massager possibly do?

I mean... just gauge (or have the massager gauge) how hard they're doing it, and just make sure it's never harder than it would normally be. But if you want a really productive and satisfying massage, massage on something like mescaline or ecstasy. Yeah...